Monday, July 28, 2014

In defense of The Book of Mormon

Hey readers! It's me, Amanda here. I wrote this post on my personal blog back in October. The response was overwhelming. With all of the adversity going on in the world today, especially about The Book of Mormon, I thought I would share this post in hopes of enlightening other women. 



From my Mormon Monday posts, it seems as if I get a 60-40 response from people. 60% are real meaningful heartfelt questions. The other 40% are people who are rather degrading and email me with questions that either don’t make sense, or contain anti-Mormon information. In defense of my religion, mainly the Book of Mormon, I wanted to write a post explaining just a few things that are merely my opinions. 

The main thing that has stuck out to me was something a friend mentioned in one of her blog posts. She said, “I found that a lot of my Mormon friends had very little knowledge of their beliefs. They knew the bare bones of the church, yet had this amazing faith.” I’ve also had a few comments that even go to the extent of, “Why are you so gullible and not looking into it further? There is PROOF that your religion isn’t real.” When I end up asking how there is proof, they go off about American History, horses, steel, and all these other crazy phenomenon’s that simply don’t make sense. There are only a couple of things I can really say.

When people say that American history doesn’t line up with our church, they are having faith in textbooks rather than God. The church has NEVER been proven false. Hence, why it still stands and continues to be the fastest growing church on earth.

You can never prove it. You can also not prove it false. This drove me crazy, because people would always say, “Where is your proof?” Well, faith is a cornerstone in our religion. Without faith, you have nothing to go off of. I remember in high school, there was a short period of time where I didn’t even believe in God. After praying to Him, praying and hoping He was there, I knew He was. And through my experiences and trials, my faith grew.

You won’t understand everything. If we knew everything, what would be the point of faith or religion? Heck, what would be the point of being here? There are questions. And there are things that we don’t understand. But if we simply soften our heart, and let God reveal to us whether this is the true church, He will. If you’re letting random facts tell you that this church isn’t true, reading completely ridiculous things online that don’t make sense, you will get nowhere. Just start from square 1. Read the Book of Mormon. Have a soft heart and desire to know that this is the true church. And you
will get your answer. This is my favorite Conference Talk to ever be given. I thought it was really suitable. My favorite part? The part where he says, "For 179 years, this book has been examined and attacked, denied and deconstructed, targeted and torn apart, like perhaps no other book in modern religious history, perhaps like no other book in any religious history, and still it stands. Failed theories about its origins have been born, parroted, and died, from Ethan Smith to Solomon Spalding to deranged paranoid to cunning genius. None of these frankly pathetic answers for this book has ever withstood examination because there is no other answer than the one Joseph gave as its young unlearned translator." 



"If anyone is foolish enough or misled enough to reject 531 pages of a heretofore unknown text teeming with literacy and Semitic complexity without honestly attempting to account for the origin of those pages - especially without accounting for their powerful witness of Jesus Christ and the profound spiritual impact that witness has had on what is now tens of millions of readers - if that's the case, then such a person, elect or otherwise, has been deceived; and if he or she leave this Church, it must be done by crawling over or under or around the Book of Mormon to make that exit."

No comments:

Post a Comment